There is no doubt that glass possesses a lot of qualities. We see and use it everyday without knowing; it is all around us and has become an important part of our lives. But did you know these things about glass?
- The first evidence of man-made glass dates back to approximately 5000 years ago.
- Ordinary glass turns brown when it is exposed to nuclear radiation.
- Glass has the ability to be recycled indefinitely all whilst retaining its original quality.
- It is estimated that more than a ton of natural resources can be saved for every ton of glass that is recycled.
- One can have enough energy to power a 100w bulb for a considerable amount of time (1+ hours) by the energy saved from recycling a single glass bottle.
- China were late to the game (approximately 5 centuries late) but now has approximately 34% of the global market; in other words the largest producer of glass in the world.
- Decomposing glass completely and naturally will take more than a million years under normal landfill conditions, making it pretty much indecomposable.
- When glass breakage occurs, the crack inside the glass travels at approximately 3000mph.
- It is estimated that the use of recycled glass has helped and will continue to help cut air pollution by approximately 20%.
- The official “Glass Recycling Month” is September.
Have you done your glass recycling this month?